I know this is out of order, but I had to include this part of the story. I'll never forget this morning. The kids were home because of a snow day. We heard the garage door open and felt alarmed because we were all inside eating breakfast together. When I looked out to see what was going on, I saw dear, sweet Brian standing in the snow, shoulders hunched, and sobbing. My heart sank in an instant. When he met my gaze, he just whispered, "My Dad." Our family spent the next few hours huddled together in the family room talking and crying and aching. While we mourned, the snow continued to fall. And fall, and fall, and fall. Brian and Jaden spent over seven hours shoveling snow together. The other kids and I stayed inside, hoping the electricity and water would return (it never did!). I checked on Brian and Jaden, often. Most of the time, I found them both in tears. Of course, I didn't take any pictures of that. But a few times, I found them in giggles. I'm serious. Jaden had Brian laughing. He's amazing that way. I did take pictures of that. And their monumental feat!! Brian told me later that he would never forget the day his Dad died and the Great Snow, the Great Sorrow, and the Great Bonding with his son.

That is our trampoline in the distance!



6 comments:
Okay, you just made me cry and then laugh in just a matter of four pictures! That snow storm was AMAZING!!! That was probably the best therapy for Brian and Jaden to work through the immediate news of Steve's passing away. Thanks for sharing!!!
Wow Michelle. What beautiful posts you have done. Your pictures really touched me, as well as your words. I've always loved the Lake family. I was 13 when Todd and Stacey got married and we've spent weekends at the beach with the Lakes, Holidays, Baptisms, baby blessings and even Sunday dinners. I've been meaning to write you and Brian a card and I am soooo sorry that I have not. I'm even more sorry that sentiments will likely be these ones, some measly comment left on a blog post. But I just want you to know how much you and your family have been in my thoughts and prayers. I am so thankful to have had a chance to get to know both Steve and Derek and I am truly sorry for the deep loss your family is without both of them. How wonderful to know you will see them again, but it probably doesn't take away the sadness of not seeing them today.
It's 1:30 and I've stayed up cleaning and preparing for my in-laws coming tomorrow. I just happened to check your blog before bed and it really struck a cord with me over the importance of family. My in-laws served as temple workers with Bev and Steve and so they too are saddened by Steve's passing and have made me promise to send their love to his children as well. Thank you for sharing such personal photos and feelings.
What a great post. I cried as I read it. What a sweet husband and son you have. Passings are always so hard but yet sweet and tender things come out of them somehow. Thanks for sharing.
Michele, Your family is beautiful in every way. So sorry about Brian's Dad. What an amazing man and father. Life is so fragile and so short. I love your perspective and continuously learn from your example of love to your family and love of being a mom. Brian and your kids are soooo blessed.
I love that picture of Jaden and Brian going nuts over Js six pack....love you guys. Can't wait for Boston!
I can't believe that snow. Although I heard you tell me that story, the way Brian came home and you all found out....it's just as sad to reread it and then see the love of Father and Son shared that day between Brian and Jaden. Fond memories on a cold snowy power-less day.
Post a Comment