May 19, 2011

A Run and a Race....

I woke up one Saturday morning to two kids begging me to go run a 5K. Soccer was cancelled, due to rain, so McKenna and Cole wanted to run a race instead! And we did. I wasn't about to sit on the sidelines when TWO of my kids WANTED to run. I thought to myself, "I'll probably need to help Cole along since this is his first 5K." So wrong. Then I thought, "I'll run most of the race with McKenna and go for a really good time." Wrong again. McKenna and I STARTED together, maybe two seconds side by side. She ran so fast that she ended up winning the entire race for females!! When I crossed the finish line, she was waiting for me and cheering me on. When I asked her how she did, she said she came in 12th. I was STUNNED. She failed to mention that the 11 runners in front of her were all males! I love this girl. And Cole? He left me in his dust, too! I couldn't even catch up to him. When they announced the female winner of the race, a frog suddenly filled my throat. It's back as I recall the moment. I will never forget it.

Coley had his first Pinewood Derby Race! He was so great to include Garner in the whole process. He even cut his wood block in half so that Garner could make his own car right along with him. It was a real treat to see them sanding and painting (at least 20 coats, I think) together. They even let Garner race his car, even though he's only six. I'm so grateful these two have each other and their sweet friendship.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

5 comments:

Hillary Garner said...

Great job Mckenna and way to go Michelle and Cole! We miss you guys...so excited to see you this summer!

Ang said...

You guys are seriously the coolest. And McKenna is MY hero. She rocks the pavement and I hope to be like her someday. :)

Six Girls and One Boy said...

Congratulations, McKenna! You are such an awesome girl (and a great runner on top of that!)! That's so special, Cole, that you include Garner in everything you do, and that you are both such great friends.

Alison Wilde said...

MICHELE!!! You are seriously super MOM! I mean, you just gave birth, you run races and you already look like a million bucks! You and McKenna (and cute Cole) inspire me. I'm going to up my brisk walk now (: I'm such a slacker!!!

Beverly said...

Congratulations to all the first place winners in your family!! I loved that you ran the race also, Michele. Way to go!!