April 1, 2011

All in a Sunday

I'm at an awkward, funny stage in life. I'm writing about it because I never want to forget it or leave it. For now, we're all here, under ONE roof. I'll take all the craziness for this one fact. Here's a little snapshot of what I'm talking about.....

It's Sunday. Brian is visiting another ward. Smart man. We HAVE to get to church on time because Jaden and me are the ONLY piano/organ playing souls. Do you know how embarrassing it is to walk in late as the whole ward is trying to sing a hymn without any music? There's looks. And it sounds really bad. And I'm a LATE person. Always late. We're NEVER all put together. Garner usually has bed-head. Jaden often has it as well. When Brian's not with us, ties don't get tied properly, if at all. Brielle won't let you spend more than 5 seconds on her hair. Channing is in his pajamas. And I look like I got ready in 5 minutes because I did. McKenna looks stunning because she wakes up looking that way.

I leave McKenna in charge of Channing, Jaden in charge of Brielle, and the little boys in charge of each other. Then I take my place at the organ for a bird's eye view of "The Lake Show". Jaden falls asleep, mouth wide open, head back. Brielle has taken her usual place on the stand, with her hymn book and snacks on the 1st counselor's lap. McKenna is doing everything she can to keep Channing from crying while giving "looks" to the little boys who are giggling at the picture Garner drew and dropping pretzel goldfish into Jaden's mouth. I'm thinking that it can't get any worse and reminding myself to sit in the back next time when Brielle takes off her boot and throws it out into the audience. Lucky for me, no one is injured.

The day ended well, I think. McKenna and I made a lovely wreath to hang in the piano room. We tried to copy a wreath we saw in an antique store. It didn't turn out at all like the one we saw. Kind of like my day. Unexpected and funny and all my own. I loved to hear my family laugh as they told Brian all about it at the dinner table. Hearing their laughter made it all okay. We're awkward and flawed and happy. And under ONE roof.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

9 comments:

Heather Williams said...

That post has to win best of year! LOVED reading that...absolutely hilarious!

Six Girls and One Boy said...

That was a great post--I can just picture every minute of it! What does Garner mean about Jaden--"Waits?" I love the sheet music wreath!!!

Laura Copeland said...

Michele, this post really was hilarious! It bought back so many memories of when our kids were growing up and me being the organist so many times. Or for all the years when George was either in the Bishopric, Bishop, High Council or Stake Presidency, and I trudged with all the kids to church and tried to pretend I had it altogether. I didn't fool anyone! Hah!

Michelle said...

Oh this is just too funny...not gonna lie I don't even have to picture it because that's pretty much what happens! You're family is great you don't have to worry about a thing!

Ang said...

That was hilarious Michele. I agree with Heather about that being the best post of the year! Your family is awesome and I totally admire you all for your efforts to be at church every single week AND to play such a big role in your ward. I now know what it's like being an organist and Rett screaming because I've left him. Can't imagine leaving six kids! You're amazing.

Beverly said...

I thoroughly enjoyed reading about your Sunday. No Mormon mother alive could not relate to your day and you recorded it all beautifully. Not to sound like I don't have sympathy or anything, but I guess I kind of miss those days just because I never had trouble staying awake in church! Now, it seems so peaceful in the YSA ward that I often have to take notes to stay awake!! Anyway, you are to be admired greatly. Keep up the good work.

Nicole Garner McConkie said...

I loved this post. I love getting a glimpse into you wonderful, real life. Way to go being the organist and getting to church on time. I am sure that is stressful. You and a wonderful mom. I am so grateful for your example!

Anonymous said...

A.) your wreath is far better than the one at luckets
B.) you are sooooo lucky to have so many people that are all your family under my wreath.
I would give anything to have that.

Alison Wilde said...

Michele--You are hilarious!! I only wish we could be together on these Sunday's so we could laugh together instead of cry! John leaves at 5:45a.m. every Sunday morning for church and the boys and I have to take a taxi over. Let's just say it is the one time I am glad the person can not speak a LICK of English! Yes, Sunday's are crazy, but one day looking back on them will be the greatest of conversations!!