April 18, 2011

I love you, Grandpa.

Those were the last words I got to say to my sweet Grandpa Garner. He passed away on Saturday. When I heard that he was gone, a gush of memories and deep love welled up inside of me. He's been there for me and loved me all of my life. Even though time and distance have pulled us apart, I've never doubted his love and support. I miss him. I love to picture him with my dear Grandma. They've been apart for 21 years. I'm glad they're back together. And with their daughter. I couldn't bear this without the sure knowledge that families are forever. So now, my heart aches for my Dad. He's lost his Father. And I can't imagine living without knowing that my Dad is somewhere thinking about me and missing me and loving me. It's part of what keeps me standing sometimes.

I won't ever forget certain things about my Grandpa. I'd like to write them down for my kids to know. After all, he's their Great Grandpa. If one of my boys ends up with a full head of beautiful silver hair when they're almost 90 years old, they'll know who they got that from!

He smelled yummy. I think they were wintergreen lifesavers.
He loved burnt toast. That's where I get that from.
And saltines with butter.
He chopped the turkey's head off for Thanksgiving dinner.
Children witnessed this (myself included).
He cared for the most beautiful garden.
And adorable pigs.
He took me for rides on his riding lawn mower.
And in his truck.
He always drove a truck.
He had the best laugh, borderline giggle.
He was toothless and toeless, but cute as can be.
He was a war hero; purple heart recipient.
He loved my Grandma.
He raised some really amazing children.
Leslee, Doug, Blair, Scott and Kathy.
I really, honestly LOVE each one of them.
He wore boots.
We loved pulling those boots off his feet when we were little.
Sometimes he'd even show us his missing toes!
He hugged just like my Dad hugs me.
That's where he gets that from.

Once, he took me fishing in Island Park. He was a great fisherman. We hiked for quite a distance to find the perfect spot. Suddenly, I spotted a moose. A mother moose and her baby. I was thrilled and called out to my Grandpa to come and see! He moved as quick as lightening, picked me up in his arms and ran out into the water. He stayed there with me until the moose moved away. I didn't know the danger we were in until I saw the look in my Grandpa's eyes. I remember feeling very loved and protected, like I meant something to him.

I hope he knows how much he means to me.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
This man means a lot to me, too.

5 comments:

Laura Copeland said...

What a beautiful tribute to your grandpa (and dad)! I learned so much from what you said about him. None of us ever will forget that beautiful white head of hair or his sweet countenance. Thank you for sharing all of these wonderful memories!

Six Girls and One Boy said...

That was so sweet, Michele--you made me cry! This tribute to your Grandfather Garner is evidence of how important grandparents are in a child's life! Even though funerals mean that someone has passed on, they are great reunions for loved ones here on earth and in heaven! We can't wait to see you and have all of our children together.

Ang said...

That was very sweet Michele... thank you for sharing. You taught me things about Grandpa I didn't even know AND reminded me of some of the things I loved so much about him. His giggle, the way he smelled, and that gorgeous hair. I think we all will forever envy that. Can't wait to see you in a few days!

Alison Wilde said...

This is the reason we blog! I loved every memory you have about your grandpa. I heard about his passing this weekend, and I know how close your family was to him. I can't imagine losing Grandpa Rigby one day.....soooo many amazing memories with him as well. Perfect blog you and your family will treasure forever!

Beverly said...

Michelle, you always say things so perfectly. You have captured such special thoughts and memories of your grandfather that helped us know him better too. I am grateful to have read your tribute to your grandpa Garner. He certainly was loved by his family.