I also realized that I have been blessed to live my life among some of the greatest and kindest people in this world. I've known this about my siblings and my mom and dad, but have sometimes failed to look beyond my immediate family. My aunts and uncles and cousins and cousin's kids have opened a whole new place in my heart. Kind of like when a baby is born and you're not sure how you could possibly feel any more love than you're already feeling. I adore them.
And speaking of my immediate family, my love for them continues to grow exponentially. I remember crying as a college student because my family was all sleeping under one roof, except for me. Well, we got to sleep under one roof again. Granted, it was the Hampton Inn, but who cares! We didn't do much sleeping either. Laughter and more laughter has become synonymous with our family get-togethers. My family inspires me. They still make me want to be a better and kinder person. I'm thinking our mansion in Heaven is going to be the happiest place there.
Lots of trips down memory lane. The smell of Grandpa's truck filled my whole head with tears. They drove him to the cemetery in his truck; his sons at the wheel and his grandsons by his side. We climbed the old boxcar in Grandpa's yard, just like we did when we were little. We stood outside the little white cow/pig pen. We bought treats at Kelly's Market. Someone even made banana chocolate chip cookies! I learned that my sweet Grandpa still had over 30 pieces of shrapnel in his body at the time of his death. He and his brother were best friends and loved to tease their younger sister, Beth. Once, they wired the electric fence wire around the outhouse seat. She sat on it twice before anyone believed that it wasn't a bee that stung her! His 90 year old brother was there at his funeral. So was Beth. Siblings are more precious than any of us realizes, I think. And Grandpas and Grandmas, too.














Thanks, Jen, for my MOST favorite pictures.
6 comments:
I think it is so fabulous how you girls have posted so many beautiful thoughts about your grandpa and family. It's takes a few years on you to finally realize how much your family means to you, doesn't it. You all look so healthy and happy in all your pictures. That is so great!
I loved your memories and thoughts about your grandpa, Michelle. Your photos are also wonderful and tell a beautiful story that your family will always remember. What a blessing that all seven of you siblings could be together with your parents. We love your family and thrill to think that this day could be so special for you.
P.s. That little Channing is a doll. I bet you are really enjoying him!!!
I love listening to all of you talk of your grandpa. What sweet memories of him you guys are able to have, and fun stories to pass to your own kids. I feel this same way about Grandpa Rigby! What a bittersweet moment to be all together with the Garner's---I would have loved to be a fly on the wall! And Channing......A DOR ABLE!!!
love your words meesh.
Words cannot express how much the return of all of you children to Ammon (and home) meant to Dad and me (especially Dad since it was his father's death). Thanks for expressing your innermost thoughts about your family for all of us to drink in.
P.S. That Channing is such a darling little baby boy! I'm so glad that your father was able to finally see him.
Post a Comment