June 14, 2012

Birthday Boy

Sweet little Garner had another birthday.  His 8th, to be exact.  Man, I love this boy.  He is quiet, but funny.  He's gentle, but strong.  He has such a loving heart.  I can always count on tight hugs and kind words from Garner.  Cole is his best friend, the one he looks up to.  Legos are his favorite things.  Brielle is his irritant (and sometimes his best pal).  He is pretty enough to be a girl.  He loves Channing more than most 8 year olds love a baby and asks me for another.  He hates, hates, hates bananas (but still eats them when I ask him to).  He has spent the last two summers digging a hole in our yard.  I'm pretty sure that Brielle could stand in it and be lost.  He even filled it with water and had a couple of frogs make their home there.  When our realtor came to take pictures of our home, she came in very concerned about a hole gurgling with water.  "That's Garner's hole," I said.  I'll not soon forget the sound of his sweet voice at the end of a school day:  "Hi Mom!  I'm home!  I'll be out working on my hole!"  I know I say this a lot, but I really am the luckiest.  We all are.  Anyone who gets to share their life with Garner Derek Lake.
Photobucket
Photobucket
For his birthday, he ran his first ever 5K!  I was so proud of him.  Seeing him coming towards the finish line made me cry.  He is a determined little soul.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
We all ran the 5K with Garner.  It was 90 degrees and 87% humidity.  Brian was home manning a garage sale.  McKenna got first place in her age group.  Coley got third.  Jaden ran with Garner and encouraged him the whole way.  I pushed Channing and Brielle in the jogger.  It was a fun way to celebrate little G.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Later that day, we took Garner and a few of his friends miniature golfing and to dinner.  He has some really sweet friends here.  It will break my heart to see him say goodbye.
Photobucket
Photobucket


Photobucket

2 comments:

Six Girls and One Boy said...

Garner is truly the sweetest young man! I loved all that you said about him. I knew all of that, but certainly didn't ever hear about him digging a hole!!! Kids always amaze for sure.

Laura Copeland said...

Happy Birthday, Garner! What a nice young man he is--as are all of your children. Like you said in your last post, it is going to be so hard to leave all the activities and friends your family has been around these last few years. My heart aches for you just like John and Alison moving. But, just like them, I know you are a great family who will make many new friends and soon be adjusted to the new place and adventures you will have in your new home. Best wishes!